New Zealand – North Island 32 miles (52 km) north of Wellington
go here Southward Car Museum
This is a car museum
The museum displays the cars collected by Sir Len Southward and his wife Lady Vera Southward.
The founder and benefactor of the trust that owns Southward Car Museum, Sir Len Southward, with his wife Lady Vera Southward began collecting cars in 1956 when they purchased a Model T Ford for 40 pounds. This vehicle was the start of what would become one of the largest privately owned car collections in the world, the model T remains in its original condition and has pride of place in the museum.
Knighted in 1986 for his services to the community, Sir Len Southward has been associated with the New Zealand motor industry since 1919, when he started work as a message boy in a Wellington motor warehouse. He and a partner later set up their own motorcycle repair business. Over the years his fascination with vintage cars gradually became a full time occupation. As the collection continued to grow, it was decided to establish a permanent museum and the Southward Car Museum was opened to the public in 1979.
Conference, function and wedding facilities including a theatre.