England – 25 miles (40km) southwest of London
Brooklands Museum Trust Ltd.
Surrey KT13 0QN
Web language: English
TEL: +44 (0)1932 857381
This is a car Museum, an aero museum, a bus museum and an historic race track.
Open every day except over Christmas, check website for details.
Summer: 10:00 – 17:00
Winter: 10:00 – 16:00
The race track opened in 1907 and was the world’s first purpose-built motor racing circuit . The outer circuit was 2 ¾ mile long, 100ft wide, with two long straights joined by two sections of banked curve up to 30ft high. Today, only sections of the race track survive. At the Museum, visitors can walk on the steepest section of the race track, following in the tyre tracks of the motorsport greats, such John Cobb, Malcom Campbell, Kay Petre, Noel Pope and the Bentley Boys. Brooklands was also one of Britain’s first airfields, and became Britain’s largest aircraft manufacturing centre by 1918. The last motor car race was held in 1939.
Brooklands Museum includes both a motor and an aviation museum. Also on the site is the London Bus Museum. All three museums are included in the entrance fee. It is also regularly used for car club meets and classic car auctions. On display are cars, motorcycles, bicycles, aircraft (including Concorde), airfield vehicles, engines, weapons and missiles. The buildings include re-built workshops and offices, a motoring village, the original clubhouse, the Bellman Hangar (Aircraft Factory) and the Stratosphere Chamber as used by Barnes Wallis in WWII.
The first significant event to celebrate the history of Brooklands was held in 1957 when Vickers-Armstrongs organised a Brooklands’ Golden Jubilee. With many ex-Brooklands racing drivers, Brooklands cars and aviation personalities were in attendance and the 1907-39 Brooklands Memorial was unveiled by Lord Brabazon of Tara. In 1969 Godalming Round Table organised a ‘Brooklands Reunion’ which attracted large crowds and many of the Brooklands personalities and vehicles that had attended the Race Track before the War. This resulted in the formation of the Brooklands Society later the same year.
Following British Aerospace’s announcement that they were going to sell off the most historic 40 acres of the original Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit, a 99-year Lease was entered into by Elmbridge Borough Council and Gallaher Ltd. in 1984 for 30 of the 40 acres of the site, for the purpose of founding a museum at Brooklands.
Refurbishment began and the collections grew rapidly. In 1985 the Brooklands Clubhouse and 100 metres of the track were restored by Gallaher and Elmbridge Borough Council, and the Vickers Wellington bomber ‘R’ for ‘Robert’, recovered from Loch Ness, was delivered to Brooklands.
In 1987 the Brooklands Museum Trust was launched, with Sir Peter Masefield. Many major features of the site were restored or recreated, with Test Hill re-opened and Members’ Bridge reconstructed in 1988, the end of that year seeing the final closure of the British Aerospace factory at Brooklands. Throughout the 1980s and ‘90s the collection of Vickers and Hawker aircraft continued to grow and significant vehicles were acquired for long term display.
The Finishing Straight was re-opened by Lord March at the Double Twelve Motorsport Festival on the 17th June 2017, 110 years to the day since the Brooklands Race Track first opened. The Finishing Straight is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and the project finally saw the two sections divided by the Bellman Hangar reunited and restored its relationship with the other historic elements of the site.
A shop, restaurant and 4D cinema. Check the website for special events including car meets and car auctions.
http://douglasat201.org/wp-login.php?redirect_to=douglasat201.org/construction-update-may-17-2017/ and 1>podporujte svého šerifa source link By Automuseums 21 September 2017
This is an amazing set of museums and all for the single ticket price. The car collection is outstanding but so are the historic of offices and garages. Everything feels authentic due to it being the location of the world’s first purpose-built race track and most of the buildings are original.