England – 108 miles (173km) northwest of London
Cotswold Motoring Museum and Toy Collection
The Old Mill
Gloucestershire GL54 2BY
Web language: English
TEL: +44 (0)1451 821255
This is a car museum, that is part of the Boundless Breaks exclusive collection.
10:00 – 18:00, seven days a week, mid-February to mid-December.
The museum will re-open on 10 February 2018.
Check website for exact dates of the opening season.
The museum has over 30 cars on display. The oldest car on display dates from the early 1900s to the latest addition, a Mini Clubman from 1972. Here are some of the cars that are on display. Check with the museum before visiting if you want to see specific cars.
1896 Ford Quadrocycle (replica)
1911 Alldays and Onions Victoria
1930 Austin Swallow
1930 Austin Seven “Chummy”
1932 Triumph Super Seven
1933 Morris Minor
1935 Riley Kestrel
1936 Austin Nippy
1936 Riley Adelphi
1938 BMW 327
1939 Austin Clifton
1950 MG TD
1951 MG Y
1951 Riley RMD
1952 Jaguar Mark V
1956 Jaguar XK140
1956 Sunbeam Alpine
1962 MG 1300
1972 Mini Clubman
The Cotswold Motoring Museum first opened in Bourton-on-the-Water in 1978. It was founded by Mike Cavanagh who had recently returned to England from South Africa where he worked as a print manager. Mr Cavanagh had been collecting motoring items since 1959, when he bought a 1929 Brooklands Riley for £30. Collecting almost became an obsession, with items purchased from around the world and then transported back to South Africa. This included a 1935 Austin Taxi which he bought while in England and then had it shipped back home. The first enamel sign, advertising Pegasus Motor Spirit, was found tied to a gate in the Eastern Cape. It now accompanies more than 800 signs on display at the Museum.
When Mr Cavanagh retired in 1999 he sold the Museum to CSMA Club. Since then the Museum has continued to develop. The grade-two listed building which houses the Museum has been repaired and improved. This building dates back to the 18th Century and was once a Mill with a water-wheel driven by the passing River Windrush. The Mill was later powered by steam, and then diesel, before ceasing operations altogether in 1949. The building was then used as a store and retail outlet for a farmers’ cooperative before closing down completely in the early 1970s. It lay empty for a number of years before being transformed into the Motoring Museum.
CSMA Club has worked hard to improve the standards of collections – care, access, interpretation and education. The collection is still growing, since 1999 CSMA Club has continued to acquire cars, motorcycles and bicycles as well as adding to the memorabilia collection. In 2005/6 CSMA Club built a new gallery which allowed the collection to expand further to cover motoring in the 1960s and 1970s.
cheap Lyrica australia Octane
Issue 172 (October 2017) p180